Monday 21 August 2017

The Dye Garden at Peak Production

From not having had a great many plants to dye with, I've now got a glut of just about everything. I've been freezing batches of French Marigolds to preserve them for later in the year but the more I cut them, the more they come into flower.


The same with the Golden Rod. I've taken a crop of these already, but they have come back into flower.


So have the Cosmos.


My Madder is growing well, but is too young to harvest, as I need to take the roots.


The Gypsywort is growing strongly, but I have not harvested it yet. It is supposed to produce a black dye.


The Woad and the Weld are both doing well. I should be able to take a small crop soon.




My Mallow plants were so small when I bought them that they got lost in the weeds, but now they are rampaging though the plot!


I've already taken a crop form the Rudbeckia, but it is back in flower again.


I took a harvest from the Tansy yesterday, but it has lots of buds coming along.


The same is true of my Yarrow plant.


The only plant that is still to flower is my Coreopsis. The plants in the garden have already given me a crop, but these in the allotment were planted this year as plug plants, and they are only just beginning to flower.

It is so lovely to be able to pick plants that one has grown, and make dyes from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment