Wednesday 18 January 2017

More Eucalyptus Leaves and Safflower

Yesterday I dyed another batch of Eucalyptus leaves, to see if I could get a pinker colour. No such luck! The latest batch was stewed for far longer than my first attempt, this time for nearly 24 hours. The alum plus iron on the extreme right in the photo immediately below is far darker than that of the original batch, also shown underneath, and (strangely) the alum and tin, next to it on the left is significantly paler, but all the shades show a strong family likeness.




So I dyed some Safflower petals as well in the hope of introducing a stronger colour into my palette. We don't (to my knowledge) grow Safflowers in Loughton yet but, in the Spring, I'm hoping to secure an allotment in which I can plant a Dyer's Garden, so if this plan materialises, I'll be able to include these skeins at some future date. These golden yellow skeins were mordanted, from the left, with alum, copper, alum + tin, and alum + iron.


No comments:

Post a Comment