Sunday 30 April 2017

Exhausting the dye bath

Yesterday evening, I made another dye bath from half of the weld I had left, after completing the 25 skein marathon. The rest is stewing in my slow cooker. There was enough colour left to dye four more skeins of wool. This time, I am preparing yellows for Lincoln Green, so I left one skein un-mordanted, and did not use any iron to assist in the dyeing process, only tin. Saddening with iron tends to turn yellow into brown, which is not an attractive starting point for over-dyeing with woad. I've produced four nice skeins of yellow. I need to resist the temptation to use them as they are, in order to save them for dunking in a woad bath later in the year. From the left, the skeins are un-mordanted, mordanted with alum, with copper and with alum + tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment