Monday 1 May 2017

Faded daffoldils

Last time I dyed with daffodil flowers, way back in February, I obtained some lovely, bright shades of yellow.



 Now that I'm beginning to collect yellow skeins to over-dye with woad, in an attempt to produce a palette of greens, I am revisiting the flowers that have already yielded strong yellow shades. But how the season has moved on whilst I've attended to other things! The daffolils are just about over for the year. What to do?


I picked a few heads and soaked them for an hour or so, and noted that the flowers revived and gave me some yellow stain. So I picked a basketful of heads, and simmered then for an hour, then left them to steep overnight.


The results from the dye bath were not so bright as for my first batch. Most tended rather more to beige than to yellow! I did not include a iron assisted skein in my set of four, but substituted an un-mordanted one instead, on the far left, as my first batch of daffodil-dyed skeins had already shown me that iron saddens yellow to a brownish shade. However, the skein that I assisted with tin, on the far right, gave be a brilliant yellow that really popped. Fascinating!



No comments:

Post a Comment